Keeping up with the trends in nothing but important the CEO of PTC Jim Heppleman recently gave not one but seven latest trends that are prevalent and he gave them away in Anaheim where the PTC live global event took place.In order to follow this trend in a perfect manner the product ought to be standard so that it can be scaled and configurable in order to meet every need. That is why there are more applications like IQMS’ MRP software which help maintain and refine the manufacturing process.Some of you might be wondering about the importance of these seven trends in product design then we might tell you that they are indeed quite vital. These trends will affect the product designers in some way or another. Other than that these product design trends also extend a rare insight into the product strategy of PTC. Therefore let us move on with the trends without any further ado.
Product design trends prevalent today
- Globalization is the first one on the list and in order to attain scale economies the business enterprises require to leverage their investments in product development by delivering their goods to every available and possible market.
- Digitization is also among the prevalent product design trends in PTC. The firms from now on will highly depend on one single representation of the designed product. That particular digital representation will have many features apart from bill of materials and geometry as it will also include materials in every component, the verified vendors, manufacturing processes, regulatory approvals and of course the services requirements.
- Mass customization is the third trend on this list. The balancing component of globalization is that the goods must be customized in a manner that they blend completely as per the requirements of the markets and qualify on the parameters of language, price, culture and climate. In order to follow this trend in a perfect manner the product ought to be standard so that it can be scaled and configurable in order to meet every need
- Smart products will also rule the world of product design as per PTC. The mechanical products are now not restricted to mechanical goods as now they are also software and electronic products. Even the simplest appliance for the home will have immense computing power and it has to be understood that this particular trend is here to stay.
- Regulation as in the product regulation is the next entry on the list. It has to be noted that product regulation adds more complexity to localization as the regulations change as per jurisdiction. For instance certain jurisdictions limit the total amount as well as the source of items that can be utilized to make a certain product.
- Servitization is the sixth item on the list of latest trends for product design. This particular word is not very well known so there are chances that most of you are unaware of the term. Servitization primarily depicts an alteration in design thinking which is not related to physical manifestation of the designed product and it communicates the advantages of the good for the user.
- Connectivity is the seventh and last entry on the list of trends that were told by Jim Heppleman. Connected devices can be very helpful to the product designers and their uses are manifold. One of the uses that these devices will extend to the designers and their team is the ability to diagnose and service the goods in the field. The remote monitoring along with serviceability gives rise to business models that do not transfer the possession.
These were the seven product design trends in detail so that the product designers can gain the maximum benefit from them. The brand new sector of product design will highly favor and encourage the large and established players who have the ability to generate profits from PLM processes.